UI Health has established various locations throughout the area for COVID-19 evaluation and testing for people with symptoms.
How to Get Tested
If you are interested in being evaluated or tested for COVID-19 at one of our outpatient locations, please do the following:
- Call 866.600.2273 to speak with a nurse.
- After answering a series of questions about your symptoms and exposure, the nurse will let you know if you would benefit from a visit. Symptoms associated with COVID-19 include:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- New loss of taste or smell
- If you are recommended to be evaluated or tested for COVID-19, an appointment will be scheduled for you at either a drive-thru or evaluation clinic.
UI Health welcomes new and existing patients with COVID-19 symptoms regardless of insurance status. Call 866.600.2273 for an appointment.
Mile Square Health Center–Main
1220 S. Wood St., Chicago, IL 60608
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 am to 5 pm
Patients who have been appropriately triaged through the nurse triage line (866.600.2273) will be scheduled for an appointment to receive a COVID-19 test. Only those who are triaged through the nurse triage line and recommended for a test will have an appointment scheduled. Testing is done by appointment only and walk-ins are not currently accepted.
COVID-19 Evaluation Clinics
Pilsen Family Health Center Lower West
1713 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago, IL 60608
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 am to 5 pm
Patients who have been appropriately triaged through our nurse triage line (866.600.2273) or recommended for evaluation by a UI Health provider may be scheduled to this location for medical evaluation and testing if appropriate. Patients will be seen on an appointment-only basis. Walk-ins are not currently accepted. Family Medicine services typically offered at Pilsen are temporarily relocated to the Family Medicine Center at University Village.
Mile Square Health Center-South Shore
7037 S. Stony Island Ave., Chicago, IL 60649
To help meet the needs of our community Mile Square Health Center has expanded COVID-19 testing to select clinic locations. Patients who have been appropriately triaged through the nurse triage line (866.600.2273) will be scheduled for a COVID-19 test appointment. When you arrive for your appointment do not enter through the main entrance. You will enter through a separate designated entrance. Testing is done by appointment only and walk-ins are not currently accepted. Only those who are triaged through the nurse triage line and recommended for a test can have an appointment scheduled.
Emergency Triage Site
University of Illinois Hospital Emergency Department
1740 W. Taylor St., Chicago, IL 60612
COVID-19 Triage Hours: Monday–Friday, 11 am to 11 pm
Additional space has been established in the Emergency Department area to triage patients presenting with symptoms. Walk-ins are only seen at the Emergency Department Triage location for individuals who present with signs/symptoms of an influenza-like illness (e.g. including cough or shortness of breath) and/or a fever. If you are having a medical emergency, please dial 911.
How much will it cost to get tested for COVID-19?
COVID-19 testing at UI Health will occur at no cost to patients.
- Uninsured patient costs for COVID-19 services will be managed through our financial assistance policy and other programs available at UI Health. Uninsured patients will not have to pay for COVID-19 related services.
- Insured patients will not be responsible for any out-of-pocket costs related to being tested for COVID-19. Insurance plans are now required to cover COVID-19 testing at 100%. We recommend that if you have been tested for COVID-19 and have questions regarding your specific benefits, contact your insurance company to get an explanation of your coverage.
If you receive a bill for a COVID-19 related service, please contact a UI Health billing representative at 312.996.1000.
The following information is required by government regulations to be posted as the “cash price” for diagnostic COVID–19 testing:
- Lab test for COVID-19 (rapid test): $125.00
- Lab test for COVID-19 (high throughput test): $245.0
- Lab test for COVID-19 (Antibody): $135.00
If you have questions about billing, visit Financial Assistance for more information.